- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 17.3 ounce s frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed as label directs
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 3 cans beef gravy
- 3 pound center-cut beef tenderloin, fat trimmed
- 6 cup s mushrooms, chopped
- 9 slice s (thin) smoked ham
1. Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub beef with 1 tablespoon oil. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to skillet and sear all sides until browned. Transfer beef to large plate and refrigerate 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, into same skillet, add mushrooms, onions and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Cover and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until most liquid is released from mushrooms. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in flour and remove skillet from heat.
3. Lay 12x18-inch sheet of plastic wrap on work surface. In center of plastic wrap, lay ham slices, overlapping slightly to form 12x14-inch rectangle. Evenly spread mushroom mixture over ham. Brush outside of beef with mustard and place beef lengthwise in center over mushroom layer. Using plastic wrap, roll ham and mushroom mixture over top and bottom of beef, leaving ends of beef uncovered. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove plastic wrap from beef. In small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Cut 1 puff pastry sheet crosswise in half. Lay 1/2 sheet next to full sheet and brush seam to seal. Discard remaining 1/2 puff pastry sheet. Place beef lengthwise in center of puff pastry sheet and brush edges of sheet with egg mixture. Fold top and bottom ends of pastry sheet over beef, leaving ends of beef uncovered. Brush seam of puff pastry with egg mixture.
5. Spray rimmed baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place beef, seam side down, on prepared baking pan. Brush outside of pastry with egg mixture. Roast beef 50 to 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135° for medium-rare. Transfer beef to cutting board and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
6. Meanwhile, in medium saucepot, cook gravy and herbs over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. Cut beef into 8 slices and serve with gravy.