- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cup s coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 18 1/2-inch thick slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 28 ounce s less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 clove s garlic, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 6 tbs unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place bread on 2 rimmed baking pans and bake 15 minutes or until bread is lightly crisped; let cool. Transfer bread to large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery and onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic, apples, sage, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth and heat to simmering over medium heat; remove from heat.
3. In small bowl, whisk eggs. Pour hot broth mixture over bread. Add eggs and walnuts and gently toss until combined. Transfer bread mixture to prepared baking dish. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until top is lightly browned.